One way to help your children better understand the situation and cope with it is to create a simple book about it. For example, if your child finds it difficult when one parent is away from home for a few days for work, you could help your child create a book about it.
Begin by finding or taking pictures that tell the story –
- The parent waving good-bye
- A car arriving at the airport
- A plane flying in the sky
- The parent working in an office
- Your child talking to the parent on the phone
- The parent flying back home
- A big welcome home hug
Next attach these pictures to paper and write a sentence or two about what’s going on and how the child feels. Staple the book together and be prepared to read it many times!