We were fortunate that our children’s elementary school included an emphasis on teaching character traits like honesty, respect and compassion. Each month the entire school focused on one quality – understanding it and practicing it.
At the end of each year two students who exemplify these character traits were chosen for recognition. Students selected for this humanitarian award needed to meet these guidelines:
- Promote understanding and harmony.
- Be sensitive to the feelings of others.
- Value differences among people.
- Show compassion and concern for others.
- Be thoughtful and kind.
- Peacefully solve conflicts.
- Cope and adjust to new and different situations.
- Have a positive outlook.
- Practice humanitarian behaviors continuously.
- Applaud and support others in their endeavors.
- Seek out friendships with others.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Treat others with respect and dignity.
- Take risks to improve situations.