You will get a more positive response from your children if you can turn a "no" into a "yes". You can do this by stating the circumstances under which the request will be granted. Below are some examples of saying both no and yes to a request.
"Can I have a cookie?"
- "No, it’s almost dinner time."
- "Yes, after dinner you can have a cookie."
"Can we get a dog?"
- "No, we’re not getting a dog."
- "Yes, when you move out and have your own house, you can have a dog."
"Can I go over to Sam’s house?"
- "No, you need to get your homework done."
- "Yes, feel free to go to Sam’s house just as soon as your homework is done."
Look for opportunities to say yes rather than no to your child this week!